Friday, June 19, 2009

The Courage To Heal, 20th Anniversary Edition



A couple of days ago, I received my copy of The Courage To Heal 20th Anniversary Edition. As I was flipping through it I noticed some changes from the 3rd edition that I would like to share with everybody.The authors have added some sections that I think may help:

Trauma and the Brain-This section talks about how trauma affects the brain chemistry and possible mental afflictions that may result. The most common is PTSD.

Using Guided Imagery-This I enjoyed reading. I have personally used guided imagery with my second counselor.

There is about a couple of pages dedicated to use of medication. I found this helpful as well. The authors have also taken out the section : Honoring The Truth. There is an expanded resource guide and the section on survivor accounts. There are other little things like more survivor poetry, list and information boxes ect. On a more personal note, I found some things that have inspired future poems about the healing process. If you can, I would encourage everybody to purchase a copy of the book. As my first counselor Carol said to me, "it is the survivor's bible".

1 comment: